The following is a condensed overview of various areas of application of protection and typical source of requirements. (click links for Code text)
COMMERCIAL NFPA 25, 184.108.40.206 (Code Text) & Fire Marshal
Codes vary based on usage/class of occupancy: Retail, Manufacturing, Storage, Kitchens; and for Class of Commodity/materials on hand. May involve Multiple, Special and/or Pump systems
Includes Schools, Hospitals and Correctional Institutions administered by Authority Having Jurisdiction such as Cal DSA, Cal OSHPD or Cal DOC who may impose additional or more restrictive codes for Schools, Medical Facilities or Secure Facilities
Frequency of efforts include: Daily & Weekly Observations, Monthly to 5 Year Inspections, Monthly to 5 Year Test and, for Sprinklers only, Replacement or Test at 50 years (Standard Response, 20 Quick Response, 5 Extra Hi Temp+ reinspections).
Things To Know General Requirements of Inspection, Testing and Maintenance
10 areas of Specified Inspection, Testing and Maintenance
How a Sprinkler works video clip
How a wet system & alarm valve works slide show
NFPA 25, 2002, para.220.127.116.11: Inspection, Testing and Maintenance shall be implemented in accordance with procedures meeting or exceeding those established in this document and in accordance with the manufacturers’ instructions.
1.(NFPA 25, 4.1) Owner or Occupant is responsible for completion of requirements:
a) ensure system components are readily accessible
b) perform required inspections, tests and maintenance
c) notify Fire Department prior to system shut down or changes
d) correct all discrepancies when found (ver. 2006 requires Licensed Professional - C16 or SFM A-type 1, 2 or 3)
e) do not change system without proper evaluation of the system
2. (NFPA 25, 4.2) Any impairment to the system requires appropriate action to minimize the increased risk and includes tagging the control valve to clearly indicate system status.
3. (NFPA 25, 4.3) Records are to be generated as required by NFPA or local authority and maintained by the Owner/Occupant to document these requirements. Per California Title 19 records will be held for 5 years after next required effort.
4. (NFPA 25, 4.4) Ensure qualified personnel perform all required Inspections.
5. (NFPA 25, 4.5) Ensure qualified personnel perform all required Testing.
6. (NFPA 25, 4.6) Ensure qualified personnel perform all required Maintenance, including repair to any impaired system component (s).
7. (NFPA 25, 4.7) Performance of requirements shall be in a Safe manner. Consult professional for Special Hazards, Hazardous Materials, Electrical Safety, etc. as required.
NOTE Any specific element of any fire protection system installed in any application is subject to numerous and varied requirements for periodic inspections, testing and maintenance. Identification and performance of most of these require a Licensed Professional.
A & S Fire Protection
SPECIFIC AREAS OF REQUIREMENTS FOR INSPECTION, TESTING AND MAINTENANCE
5.1 Sprinkler Systems
18.104.22.168 Antifreeze Systems
6.1 Standpipe and Hose Systems
7.1 Private Fire Service Mains
8.1 Fire Pumps
9.1 Water Storage Tanks
10.1 Water Spray Fixed Systems
11.1 Foam Water Sprinkler Systems
12.1 Valves, Components and Trim
13.1 Obstruction Investigation
14.1 System Impairment, Measures to Take
© 2008, 2009 A and S Fire Protection, Inc. All rights reserved. www.asfirepro.com
P.O. BOX 4609,Ventura, CA 93007, Ph: (805) 650-2505, FAX: (805) 650-2547
Site Design By email@example.com (also firstname.lastname@example.org )